Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Racism within us

Been reflecting on this for past few days and more so after Amit Varma of India Uncut verbalized the passive racism that may go on in Indian male head towards women of different races and their own. He says:

The ministry says it is doing this because it doesn’t want anyone to “show Nehru in a poor light.” That is bizarre: I don’t think his alleged affair with Edwina shows him in a poor light—the guy was human, after all. (Most Indian men would probably think more highly of him because he scored with a white chick, but leave that aside.)

And I couldn't leave that aside and would like to pose this question here. I would like to know Indian male readers perspective on this aspect. Come to think of it, I welcome female readers thoughts as well. If you are not comfortable casting your views along with identity attached then go anonymous, I will respect it. I do have my own set of observations on this and will share it here later.

1 comment:

Metal said...

It doesn't surprise me. The indian mindset for some reason does have the capacity to digest anything that is non traditional and is looked down upon. Be it inter cultural relationships, age difference in marriages and what not. As someone who had a white gf I can't tell you how many eyebrows were raised. There was an army of people who were against it, and I noticed something similar to what you said- My friends thought it was "exotic" to have a white gf. We may have been independent for over 60 years now, but if you look deep inside we are still ruled by a conservative, traditional mentality.Kepp blogging!