Sunday, March 11, 2007

Skewed definition

I always thought when you are called poor I just assumed that it's having less or no money. I was mistaken (so wrong). Money is never a constant possession and it changes hands with time. I have a different perception of poverty. To me person is poor who lacks honesty, hope, humor, passion, dedication and affection and all those good things in life. I mean if only money could do you good all the wealthy people would have been the happiest takers in this. I clearly recall the incidence of one my colleague turning millionaire overnight (lottery worth 3 million dollars). He was one of the most obnoxious soul around. He had no sense of sensibility, decorum, professionalism and people were excited that now since he has enough money he would leave. How poor is that?
It sure buys you lot of tangibles to keep the excitement of life in equilibrium but that too wears off if its not coupled with the intangibles (accomplishments, winning after a struggle, honest joys). Pretentious joys are often a burst of human tendency of seeking approval and acceptance. Paper money will come and go but its the genuine person you have turned into in this process is the only remain you have for keepsake.

Anyway,
Here is a piece of ghazal by jagjit singh (album saher):

" tere bare mein jab socha nahie tha,
main tanha tha magar itna nahie tha.
manane roothne ke khel mein hum,
bichad jayenge ye socha nahie tha."

3 comments:

Persona non gratis said...

I think people who are unhappy are probably the poorest. Just my opinion.

Keshi said...

The poorest ppl r ppl who cant help someone in need, when they really can.

Keshi.

Pallavi said...

shree- yes they are def. poor. I agree.

keshi-yes I agree with you too girl!