Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Roadrunner lifestyle

Need for speed, more work in less time, super packed days or being ultra busy are the bromides that have trickled into our regular day to day lives and we find it ubercool to use them without a second thought. So much so that someone had to notice it and write a book on it's effects that our generation is finding almost impossible to even stop and think. Well how can we, when we have trained our mind, body and soul for years to be a fit in this machine age. I, myself spend close to 15/16 hours a day in front of a computer. First thing I do when I wake up or the last thing before I hit the sack is religiously use my laptop.
Carl Honore delivered this masterpiece on his book In praise of Slowness where he is investigating this roadrunner culture which we all got sucked into. I think its good time to ask if we have the right pace or rather right quality to our lives. An eye opener may be.
Often times, during yoga class my instructors emphasize to forget the tension, worries and all kind of external concerns outside the room and just be in the (torture chamber..:)) room for 90 minutes and concentrating on your breathing and form and only yourself. Its hard sometimes. Another point they always stress is not to practice yoga for some quick results and leave all kind of performance based expectations and judgement outside. Just be at peace with yourself. It doesnt come very easily.

11 comments:

Sudipta Chatterjee said...

Yes, indeed --- we need to stop by an think at times, need to step aside from the stream and ponder over the flow. But doesn't it happen whenever when you are alone for a long time, in the solitude without any mobiles ringing or laptops buzzing?

Keshi said...

gosh Pallavi I need a break too..Im too fast these days and my life seems like an uncontrollable roller-coaster right now!

Keshi.

Unknown said...

Yoga and Meditation, well what can I say. I try it sometimes to not think of anything and I end up thinking twice as I would have normally thought about. I think of stepping aside from the rush, listen to birds chirping, listen to music and I end up feeling restless and back again.

- The Pilgrim

Persona non gratis said...

I thought your yoga course is over?

Venkat C said...

yes, sometimes yes, sometimes no. yes because of what u have said and no because slowing down makes us think and thinking is scary. I mean I try to go out and do something just escape from my thoughts.

Pallavi said...

sudipta-yah n how many times r u without ur phone n laptop? almost never!!

keshi-yes we all are doing that.

the pilgrim- at the least you are trying..I am afraid I am not even trying.

shree-the 8-weeks challenge is over but I am continuing yoga pretty regularly these days.

FJ-Slowing down shouldn't scare us. Thats the problem we all are facing..slowing down we percieve as losing and not thinking is not good buddy..:)

Bharat said...

yup!...looking at my laptop screen everyday-day in and day out! - I was wondering wld I ever be able to look beyond it!

Ram said...

I think it goes a little deeper too. I mean, at the end of the day its about priorities and perspectives in one's life. Why am I running around like this? Why do I spend so much time on the computer? Brutal introspection might give some clues.

On a related note, I lost my cellphone last year and had to wait 5 days for a replacement. The first 2 days I was panicking, the 3rd day was cool and by the 4th and 5th days I was enjoying not being on call :)

I guess some are fortunate to find and implement this balance in life easily, some have to try harder...what say you?

Pallavi said...

Good sign-Some long lost bhatke hue folks returned to blog after a long time. Good to see you bharat n ram.

bharat-yes look away often n enuf before you are forced to coz of sickness.

ram-yah i can relate to cell phone story. imagine what would happen if we were taken internet from our lives for few days on a non-vacation day. scary?
yes you are right about the balance in life!

Sandeep Khemka said...

hey...i had seen your comment on my blog...not too sure if we know each other...neways, have written something on these lines as well..

Anonymous said...

ADD http://focus2010.blogspot.com to your blog.

http://focus2010.blogspot.com

if you wish to give a face lift to your blog, contact me at dinesh.uthan@yahoo.com