Sunday, January 28, 2007

Abstruse vs absolute

Before I go deeper into confusing people I am suddenly very conscious of my blogging. Why? I sinned browsing my blog at home on my vacation. It left footprints on history of browser. And my not-so-geeky {at least thats what I thought..:)} sis-in-law found the link and now she is actively following my blog and so is the whole family, gosh. She checks the blog everyday, "no Shilpa I do not blog everyday..:). " Shilpa is one of the super cool person I have ever known. She is my best friend, sister, mother, fashion guru {though now we have switched spots.:)}, music guru all rolled into ONE. I am glad I have you!! And remember the rules, you don't tell daddy what I blog about and do not post any comments..:).
So moving on to something interesting that I have been thinking about.
"God grant me the serenity to accept things I cannot change, courage to change things I can, and wisdom to know the difference." The statement is fancy and its simplicity charming but to really fathom it, involves metaphysical moral issues. Lets' begin with the first part, few questions, Who is God? Going by my perception, if its that supernatural power behind all your actions (remember I did not say right or wrong) has the power to grant something like that? And accepting things you cannot change, so why did you want to change in first place (coz you sensed something wrong) and if you just accepting all the wrongs?? Doesn't sound logical to me and merely to seek escape from reality.
If you look closely there is a philosophical premise implicitly embedded in it. If there are things that man can change, it means he possesses the power of choice which is nothing but self volition. Not to miss his/her own actions and charateristics, like courage and also lack of it. Human being's volition is an characteristic of his/her consciousness (rationality) and consumes choice to percieve existence or to evade it. Once this is established, man is able to learn how things can be changed to serve his/her needs.
Something to chew on-
"The use or misuse of his congnitive faculty determines a man's choice of values, which determine his emotions and his character. It is in this sense that man is a being of self-made soul"-AR

5 comments:

Mosilager said...

I advertised mine to my family far and wide but none of them follows it. Maybe I should have kept quiet about it and then it will generate some interest if they had found out by accident.

Thenraj said...

Dont worry..its good that ur family knew abut ur blog...by that they understand you better than thru any medium...

Persona non gratis said...

Sometimes it easier to write about things to an impersonal audience than to some one you know intimately I guess. Visiting your blog after really long. How have you been with the yoga and all?

Twisted DNA said...

"She is my best friend, sister, mother, fashion guru {though now we have switched spots."
I wonder what you would've said if she weren't reading your blog! :P

Pallavi said...

mosi-hmmm I dunno if you really want ur family following ur virtual world..:)

thenraj-no! no.:). may be they shudn't understand you better.

shree-i totally agree with you shree. yoga is going great..:) done with 18 days today!!

twisted-oh gawd! you know na that she is following the comments too..if not me you might get in trouble..:)