Friday, August 18, 2006

I, me, my dad and fashion

Few days back, I went to this clothing store, and was looking at some new styles in jeans. I also checked out their “destroyed look” series. It immediately reminded me of my dad. I tried one pair of jeans for the kicks, and my foot went through the destroyed part so I corrected myself and the immediate thought was why people would want to pay more for stuff that’s hazardous to normal living.
Anyway, if I ever wore that pair of jeans in front of my dad he will question me “beta, why is your jeans torn, do you not have money?” It was back in college, when my fashion cells were bursting, my dad gave me Rs.500 for emergency, mind you emergency. I went window shopping with my friends and bought Rs.399 Benetton t-shirt. When my dad saw that, he said “beta you paid Rs.400 for this baniyan?” I said daddy it’s not baniyan it’s Benetton t-shirt. He replied that it is baniyan only, it doesn’t even have collars. Oh daddy, you won’t understand. Anyway after that emergency money never happened again.
Another incidence I recall is when my dad used to take me to Bata showroom for shoe shopping. I used to always question him, dad Bata is not fashionable, he always replied, they are durable. I used to always wonder why you would want anything to be durable when you don’t like it.

Song recommendation: Patience by Guns n' Roses..here you go
Shed a tear coz I am missing you
I am still alright to smile.......

7 comments:

Vijay Ramamurthi said...

hahha :)
baniyan good one :

Pallavi said...

Vijay-yeah it was hilarious.

Ekta said...

hahah!
Guess parents will always remian parents..and yeah my dad pretty much feels the same way abt T-shirts!

Pallavi said...

Ekta-:)..yeah

Suman Pant said...

My dad doent bother to comment on my clothes, but i remember once my mom told me to get a new pair of jeans coz the one i was wearing was "torn". When i said, thats fashion, she just glared at me. I never saw my fav pair of jeans after that day! :(

Pallavi said...

Eclipsed-My sympathies for you and the pair of jeans you never saw again..:)

Anonymous said...

heheh that was funny...reminded me of my own dad!!