Monday, February 16, 2009

Cultural corruption?

Firstly, my logical brain, seriously does not understand the urgent need to have a day to express your love when you can do it all year long. Can you imagine, if you have to hold your romance for 364 days to express on 365th day. If any normal human being has to contain so much love & affection that we have around for only one day, I, for sure will implode if not allowed to explode. Jokes apart...

So, the self-appointed moral police threatened (and then got arrested) everyone who wished to celebrate v-day. They call this celebration un-Indian, uncouth, uncivilized. Agreed! I so agree...

So, what is being culturally civilized Indian entail? This, this or this?

I want to know the answer because I do want to continue to be an Indian.

I ask, where is the moral police where all this is happening.?!?! I think they are smart enough to know, where the popularity gain is! They too are media hungry and Indian media surely fulfills that greed.

3 comments:

Parth said...

You can argue when you are arguing to someone you can reason with. Its pointless in this case, isn't it?

R said...

well.. may be for these people moral policing is part of Indian culture :-)
I am sad that we are outraged at moral policing only when someone does it for media publicity and political gains. Why are we not so much enraged at the actual police force's moral policing (at the same time turning a blind eye to other serious issues)?

Pallavi said...

parth-yah, you are right! I guess, I was ranting...

renuka-I just wonder that with so much energy if only it can be put to right use. We have abundant issues where this energy can be channelized.. Every year, there is a ruckus and its over the same day! If it bothers them so much, why is it not carried for a longer time.