Saturday, September 06, 2008

Do you trust?

Past weekend, I had an opportunity to meet with a professor, in an informal setting. Amidst a lot of din and anxious clamor, her's was the only voice that stood out in my head vividly. She made her point calmly with conviction. I have believed in expressing one's point and let people have freedom of taking or not and hence not interfering with others cognition. Somehow, thrusting or screaming one's opinion or thinking (for that matter) seems very self oriented. And, it fundamentally loses the purpose of expressing for others.

She spoke about trust and said trust essentially is an ongoing process which you are always continuously building on. So it's not a one time concretion but a dynamic combination of thinking and feeling. Human nature is to anchor amongst others with trust and faith, which however gets disturbed in the process where things do not align and the process of questioning and re-building begins. Hence, I think, need of assurance, acceptance and expressing support (at all times or from time to time) is critical. Think about it, a child is not born with mistrust and doubts. It's the process of growing up in a complex setting and assimilating social environment which can form his/her opinion in a right or not-so-right direction.

I had once shattered my faith and trust at a much deeper level and the process of restoring and healing has been hard but to what it was when the hurt was fresh, it is remarkable to see where I stand now. I surprised myself by expressing my deepest fears and insecurities to a person whom I had not even met before ever. I felt a sense of immediate trust and comfort of friendly & trustworthy bond and next thing I know I was sharing some crucial information of my life along with many other conversations that I had. Is the dark night of mistrust and broken faith over for me?

No comments: